Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ten for 2010

On the first day of 2010 I jumped out of an airplane. I figured what better way to start the new year than with a bang! and ever since that inspiring flight down to earth I've had a dreamy past year. I worked, laughed, learned, and earned more than ever, got new clients, had a group gallery show with my fellow Aevum photographers, traveled multiple times to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island, spent more time being active in the natural world, (hiked koko head 20 times, practiced ashtanga yoga for 7 mos. and jumped in the ocean nearly every chance I had) and slept on couches in Iowa, New York, DC, California, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. A few highlights not pictured below were exploring inside a 10,000 year old sinkhole, spending the last dying days with a rare beaked whale and witnessing hawaiian healers practice ancient medicine, and searching for endangered endemic tree snails the size of a fingernail while hiking in the Waianae's. A big thanks goes to all of my friends and inspirators this year! These are my 10 photos of 2010 that represent my vision for this past year, moments experienced that will shape how I see in 2011.

'Last sunset on the farm', Mount Pleasant, Iowa
This fall we traveled throughout America, visiting friends and family and documenting our journey along the way. We saw an amazing amount of awe-inspiring scenes as we drove across the country but one of the most stunning sites was the last sunset we saw on the Mallams family farm in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, the evening before we left.

'Above and Below', Waimea Bay, Oahu
One of my favorite places in the world to be is in the water at Waimea Bay in Oahu. I love being in the ocean and exploring the crystal clear waves, coral formations, and sea creatures. This photo was taken near the rock that all of the locals jump off of.

'Christmas Night,' Waialae Iki, Oahu
Christmas is my most cherished holiday. I love being with my family and we always have a lot of fun. In this image my mom stares off at the ocean at dusk from our lanai, while drinking mai tai's on Christmas night.

'Marika and Joe', Waikiki, Oahu
My big sister got married this summer here in Hawaii and I was her maid of honor. It was the first wedding that really meant something to me so capturing this moment was wonderful. It was during an impromptu speech I think my mom was giving at their reception at the Waikiki Aquarium and I turned back and looked at my sister and new brother in law and caught this stolen kiss.

'Greenwell farm boys', Kona, Hawaii
This year my freelance career really started to pick up and Matt and I started working regularly for Honolulu and Hana Hou! the Hawaiian Airlines Magazines. Both clients have been awesome to work with and it's been especially great working with Hana Hou! because we get the pleasure of traveling to the neighbor islands frequently. This was my first travel cover story for Hana Hou! on Kona coffee farms on the Big Island. Matt and I spent a week tasting the best coffee in the world, seeing the gorgeous rolling hillsides, and hanging out with the families behind Kona's best coffees. Greenwell Farms is a fourth-generation Kona coffee farm and Tom Greenwell and his sons and nephew all work at the plantation there.

'Indian Summer', Mount Pleasant, Iowa
On Matt's birthday we had a party at his grandpa's house on the farm in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. I walked away to see the sunset for a moment and took this picture as the last rays of light peaked through the golden wheat fields and the sun went down over the flat Iowa landscape.

'Danny Way', Kapa'a, Kauai
It was the week before my birthday when I got the call to photograph skateboard legend Danny Way at his home in Kapa'a, Kauai for Men's Journal. Danny is such an inspiration and has been an idol of Matt's for years, so it was an exciting assignment to get. We photographed him with some of his friends at his new house he was building, he played music on his lanai overlooking distant waterfalls, we road four-wheelers around his property as he gave us a tour of the land where the new mega ramp will be, watched him and his girlfriend ride horses around in the rain and ended up having dinner and drinks with him and his friends that night. He was such a great and easy-going subject to photograph and it was a truly memorable day.

'Superstition,' Waimea Bay, Oahu
Marika looks something like Jesus ascending through a blue abyss of water in this photo I took of her wearing a wedding dress while swimming at Waimea Bay. I've learned a lot about my own spirituality through quiet moments and solace found only in the ocean, so to me this photo represents that.

'Darkness', Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii
I love exploring the landscape wherever I am, so during some down time while on assignment on the Big Island, I trekked off to see Kilauea volcano. This was taken inside the Thurston Lava Tube as the last tourist walked out of my sight of light. I've always thought this image had a mysterious, under-earth feel to it which to me embodies darker moments in life.

'Happiness', Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Growing up I always loved watching the leaves change color in the autumn but since I've been living in Hawaii and California for the past 7 years I don't get to see that rare fall beauty too often. So, traveling throughout America this October was so lovely, we got to experience all of the seasons in a month, sunny summer in Hawaii, cool spring in California, brisk fall in New York and Iowa, and winter in Wyoming driving the empty icy roads of the national parks. Being on the open road with my love and seeing the beauty of the land, now that is happiness to me.

No comments: